Air conditioners are vital appliances and an essential part of life. They’re frequently used for 12 to 14 hours a day. Aircons bear a harsh environment in Singapore’s tropical climate – heat, humidity, dust, and long usage hours. Proper aircon servicing and maintenance is essential to keep the aircon functioning effectively, and efficiently.
Aircon servicing includes a general check-up for the components to detect faults or failures. Aircon parts and filters are cleaned during routine service.
Here is a detailed guide on what constitutes aircon servicing
- Cleaning: The aircon pumps a massive quantity of air every hour. Dust accumulation, moisture, and other particles clog critical components of the aircon.
- Evaporator – This is the core component of the indoor unit. It cools the air by blowing it over chilled evaporator coils.
During an aircon service, the evaporator coil is cleaned using warm water. If the aircon smells, there may be mold near the coil. Chemical solutions are used to clean bacteria and mold growth. Coil cleaners help remove the dirt easily.
- Condenser – This is the outdoor unit (also called compressor). Its coil exchanges heat with the surroundings. The coil can become clogged and make the system ineffective. This coil is washed with pressurized water and coil cleaning solution.
- Filters – Your aircon may have many filters to remove fine particles from the air. These filters are removed and cleaned during service. If required, these filters are replaced periodically.
- Drain pan and pipe – The drain pipe is flushed to remove any stuck dirt of debris. The drain pan is cleaned thoroughly. Chemicals may be used to remove bacteria and other contaminants.
- Inspection: While aircon cleaning is necessary to keep the unit functioning, there are other inspections required to ensure that the unit is in proper condition. Professional aircon service personnel have a keen eye, and they can detect problems just by looking.
- Refrigerant pressure – Aircons work by circulating refrigerant gas through the pipes and coils. Adequate pressure is necessary for the unit to function effectively. During service, if refrigerant pressure is low, you may have to get your system “recharged.” This involves pumping refrigerant into the system until the required pressure is reached.
- Leaks – The condenser coil, compressor, piping, and the evaporator is a closed system having pressurized refrigerant. Even a minor leak can cause refrigerant to leak out. The technicians check this closed-loop for leaks.
- Power consumption check – An aircon unit pulling power above the rated power may have issues with the compressor. Measuring power consumption is a preemptive check to prevent compressor failure. If there is a lack of refrigerant pressure, or the compressor is not working efficiently, it will consume higher power. It may also trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse.
- Cooling rate and temperature check – After service, the technicians often check for the temperature, flow, and cooling rate of the unit. After getting an aircon serviced, you can immediately notice the difference in the air temperature and how long it takes to get the surroundings to cool down. As the units get older, their efficiency and effectiveness decrease.
- Visual Inspection: There are visual signs to look out for. If the outdoor unit vibrates, there may be an alignment issue, or the compressor might be faulty. If the aircon makes a hissing noise or a clicking noise, there may be some fault with the compressor or refrigerant. Continuous rumbling noise during operation is also a sign that warrant inspection.
Why get your aircon serviced periodically?
Aircons are complex systems. They lose 5% efficiency for every year they’re not serviced. Your aircon system will wear-out faster if not serviced and also consume higher electricity. Servicing prevents premature failure. You may save thousands of dollars in replacement parts and labor if you get your aircon serviced through professionals.
MCL Air-conditioning is one of the best providers of reliable aircon service and repair in Singapore. MCL undertakes simple and complex repair tasks for aircons at an economical price. They provide reliable aircon installation and aircon service everywhere in Singapore. All jobs are done professionally by well-trained technicians.